When I started Stillpoint Digital Press in 2012, all that I intended to do was to take my own varied experience as a writer, an editor, and an ebook designer and offer a service that was both more professional and more personal than that offered by the ebook self-publishing “services”: digital publishing with a human face.
From the beginning, that idea has resonated — and has brought me in directions that I never anticipated.
One of my first projects was a memoir by former merchant seaman Jack Beritzhoff. When I began outlining my plans to Jack, talking through the editorial process and discussing the benefits of publishing his autobiographical work in ebook form, the ninety-four-year old nodded, smiled, and said.
That sounds great. But I also want to be able to hold my book.
Well, who was I to deny Jack? And so Stillpoint became, quite outside of my plans, a traditional print publisher. The launch party and book signing for Sail Away was one of the prouder moments of my career in publishing.
Similarly, when Linda Finch began talking with me about bringing out a new edition of The Seven Gods of Luck, and I had created the print and ebook editions, I realized that I wanted to add a read-aloud track. Well, we have professional recording facilities, so that was easy. Suddenly, I found that we were in the audiobook business as well.
Our aim is to be as responsive as we can for our clients and partners, creating truly fine editions, no matter what the medium.
So tell us: what can we do for you?
News from the Stillpoint
For today only, we’re having a flash giveaway of Heather Albano’s thrilling steampunk time-travel adventure, Timepiece!
This rollercoaster thriller of a novel combines Jane Austen romance with Mary Shelley monstrous horror and then adds dystopian time-travel a la H.G. Wells! The first novel in the Keeping Time trilogy, Timepiece takes all of these very different elements and combines them in an exciting, romantic, fun romp.
A game designer as well as an author, Heather Albano mixes Regency romance, gothic horror, science fiction, sly humor, dystopian steampunk, and military history to create a unique, fun, exciting read that will keep you guessing and keep you on the edge of your seat.Continue reading Timepiece Flash Giveaway!
With Bright Eyes less than a week from release, we wanted to let you know that we are offering David Kudler’s award-winning first novel Risuko on a special sale for a limited time — both ebook, paperback, and hardcover!
This week only, you can get a special deal on the first volume of Seasons of the Sword:
The ebook is only $0.99!
The paperback is only $6.99!
The hardcover is only $16.99!
We’ve never offered the book at these prices before, and won’t be likely to again — if you’ve been waiting to order a copy for yourself (or for someone else) now is your chance!
We’re excited to announce that the Kickstarter campaign to support the launch of Bright Eyes: A Kunoichi Tale, the second title in David Kudler’s award winning Seasons of the Sword series, is now open — and already 80% to its initial goal!
About the Kickstarter Campaign
This crowdfunding campaign, which runs through April 10, will help us create the best possible book — while guaranteeing our supporters copies at less than the retail cost.
As author David Kudler wrote, Continue reading Kunoichi Tales Kickstarter Under Way
We’re back! Here are 6 more interesting online publishing tidbits, coming at you hot off the (digital) press.
- Looking for tips on how to successfully interface with readers online? Don’t reply to comments when you’re hangry, and other helpful tips from Neiman Lab.
- For those not in attendance at the recent London Book Fair, here were bestselling author Joanna Penn’s main take-aways.
- Facebook’s newsfeed feature is constantly evolving — read this Social Media Today article to keep up to date with how to use its algorithms to your advantage.
- For those not up to date with Google’s new GDPR-compliant policy, here’s an interesting read on why publishing trade groups aren’t happy with the tech-giant’s latest update.
- If you’ve really been living under a rock re: literary scandals, here’s a quick update on why the Nobel Prize in Literature is postponing this year’s award.
- I recently stumbled across this list of best publishing podcasts, and have to say, I’m impressed! If you’re looking for a good listen, shuffle through a few of these — you’ll certainly learn something.
Also, Stillpoint publisher David Kudler posted recently on TheBookDesigner.com about whether or not it makes sense to offer your ebook for free — and the best way to make that happen if you decide it does. Check it out!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Feel free to let us know below!