I'm not afraid of heights, but I definitely have a healthy respect for depths. So I'm as surprised as anyone that I've written a book featuring a girl who loves to be as high up in the air as possible.
I am a writer, editor, and publisher living just north of the Golden Gate Bridge with my wife, Maura Vaughn and our daughters. And our cats.
Currently, I run my own small publishing company, Stillpoint Digital Press. Since 1999, I’ve overseen the publications program for Joseph Campbell Foundation. I have edited three posthumous volumes of Campbell's unpublished writing and lectures and overseen editions of seventy additional titles, including the third edition of his masterpiece, Hero with a Thousand Faces.
In June, 2016, I released Risuko, a historical adventure novel (whew! lots of qualifications on that!) set in Japan during the Civil War era, and I'm in the middle of writing Bright-Eyes, the second book in the Seasons of the Sword series.
I'm a passionate reader of mysteries, fantasy, and whatever else I can get my hands on. I am a story addict.
And that's me, at the moment. 😉
- Comment on Bright Eyes Preview: The Torii Arch by RisukoThanks so much for the feedback — and sorry for not seeing this until now! Since one of the main characters in the series — Lady Chiyome — is almost always addressed with the honorific, I made the stylistic choice in the first book to switch from the English version to the Japanese — Chiyome-sama — […]
- Character Mutiny: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Bright Eyes
- Character Mutiny: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Bright EyesSo, hi. I owe you an apology. I had promised — and confidently expected — to finish and release Bright Eyes, book #2 in the Seasons of the Sword series, in 2018. What happened? Well, a character mutiny happened. No, really. I had about two-thirds of the book written, had a detailed outline for the rest, […]
- Comment on Bright Eyes Preview: The Torii Arch by RenDropping by because I stumbled across this on Google. Uh... Doesn't it sound odd that you use Lord Takeda in one sentence and Takeda-sama in the other? There's no reason for the switch.
- Review: Lethal White — Deadly Fun
- Stories & Keeping Time news
- Stories & Keeping Time newsHey! A couple of pieces of news! First of all, I recently wrote a post for Joseph Campbell Foundation (my “day gig”) entitled “Where Do Stories Come From.” It’s talking about the source of narrative, and also mythologist Joseph Campbell’s own fiction writing. Check it out! Also, the final volume of my friend Heather Albano’s […]
- What’s with Kee Sun’s accent?
- What’s with Kee Sun’s accent?Kee Sun is one of my favorite characters, and I’m not alone. I get asked about the Korean cook a lot — especially about his accent. I recently was asked a question over on Goodreads: Hi David – enjoyed Risuko and will be adding my review soon. Curious about the Korean cook and the odd […]
- Weekly Roundup