About Us — The Human Face of Digital Publishing
From the beginning, that idea has resonated — and has brought me in directions that I never anticipated.
News from the Stillpoint
The Bay Area Independent Publishers Association is a diverse and open group involved in the world of independent publishing, from folks who simply have a book idea to published authors, editors to illustrators, readers to reviewers, agents to printers, audio book experts to book shepherds.
—Becky Parker Geist, BAIPA Board of Directors, President
WOULD YOU LIKE TO JUDGE SELF-PUBLISHED BOOKS?
- Judges will be asked to read up to five books from Sept. 30 to Jan. 15.
- Read in one of six genres (your choice): Fiction, Non-Fiction, Memoir, Young Adult, Children’s, Poetry
- Judges will read, review, and judge books using criteria provided by BAIPA.
- Judges will receive either a complementary BAIPA annual membership worth $90 or an honorarium of $75 (your choice).
By agreeing to judge books for BAIPA’s contest, you will be making an important contribution to independently published authors.
WE NEED YOUR HELP TO SERVE AS A JUDGE.
Please contact Bev Scott: email@example.com
Include name, email, the college/university, library, bookstore or organization that recommended you as a judge, and which genre you would prefer to read.
We’re back! Here are 6 more interesting online publishing tidbits, coming at you hot off the (digital) press.
- Looking for tips on how to successfully interface with readers online? Don’t reply to comments when you’re hangry, and other helpful tips from Neiman Lab.
- For those not in attendance at the recent London Book Fair, here were bestselling author Joanna Penn’s main take-aways.
- Facebook’s newsfeed feature is constantly evolving — read this Social Media Today article to keep up to date with how to use its algorithms to your advantage.
- For those not up to date with Google’s new GDPR-compliant policy, here’s an interesting read on why publishing trade groups aren’t happy with the tech-giant’s latest update.
- If you’ve really been living under a rock re: literary scandals, here’s a quick update on why the Nobel Prize in Literature is postponing this year’s award.
- I recently stumbled across this list of best publishing podcasts, and have to say, I’m impressed! If you’re looking for a good listen, shuffle through a few of these — you’ll certainly learn something.
Also, Stillpoint publisher David Kudler posted recently on TheBookDesigner.com about whether or not it makes sense to offer your ebook for free — and the best way to make that happen if you decide it does. Check it out!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Feel free to let us know below!
April may be the cruelest month, but here at Stillpoint Digital there’s some good news — with a new month, comes a new roundup of this weeks most interesting #eprdctn-related articles. Continue reading Weekly Roundup
With the summer solstice comes longer days. With longer days comes more time for reading! Here’s this week’s roundup of what we found interesting in the world of ePublishing.
From a scandal that rocked the world of digital publishing to some nice, relaxing podcast recommendations, here’s our latest weekly roundup. Continue reading Weekly Roundup — What’s new in digital publishing?
I originally published this post on Joel Friedlander’s wonderful resource for self-publishers, TheBookDesigner.com
If HTML is the blueprint, showing how an ebook (or a web page) should be laid out, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) are the interior design, saying how everything should look. While that may sound superficial, in fact learning to use CSS can have a profound impact on your ebook.
This is a somewhat complicated topic, so I am going to take three posts to cover it. This time round, I’m going to show you what CSS is and how to apply it. In the second post, I’m going to look at some of the different properties that you can use to define how your ebook looks. And in the last post, I’m going to talk about how to know which rules take precedence when.
Don’t call it a comeback! Here’s the second installment in our now weekly roundup of interesting articles in the world of eBook publishing. Continue reading Weekly Roundup – 6 Fresh Topics in Ebook Publishing
This post originally appeared on Joel Friedlander’s wonderful site, TheBookDesigner.com.
If, as I keep saying, an ebook is just a website a box, then in order to know how to get in and edit your ebook, you’re going to want to know some HTML. However you choose to work on the file, knowing the basic building blocks is essential in creating a finished product that presents your book to its best advantage.
When we talk about HTML, we’re actually talking about two separate things:
What Can Stillpoint Do for You?
Stillpoint Digital Press is a publisher and publishing services provider that creates fine ebook, audiobook, and print editions in genres from fiction to literary nonfiction, from memoir to poetry. It aims to provide digital publishing with a human face, offering a full range of editorial services, from editing, layout and ebook conversion to distribution and marketing.
Here's what we can do for you:
- Design your book in print and/or ebook format
- Print formats from simple black-and-white to complex, illustrated four-color
- Ebook formats—Kindle (mobi/KF8) & ePub:
- Fixed layout, flowing text, read-aloud, video- or audio-enhanced, etc.
- Create a cover
- Arrange printing—offset, short-run, or print-on-demand
- Manage distribution
- Work with you to market your book
- Quick and accurate ebook conversion from print or digital original
- Cover Design
- Smidget: Social Media Widget for Ebooks
- Distribution to all major outlets — if you'd like, we'll even set up accounts for you!
- Narration, recording, and editing
- Distribution to Audible, Amazon, and iTunes
- Substantive and developmental editing
- Copyediting and proofreading
- Image & quotes research and permissions