Recently, I was honored to have been invited to post on Joel Friedlander's The Book Designer on the subject of ebooks -- a subject I love talking about, having been designing ebooks since 2010. (In this industry that makes me practically an old-timer.) This is the first of a monthly series of posts on the subject. It was originally released here.
There are lots of very complex questions when it comes to ebooks:
- text and image formatting,
- different file formats,
- various workflows for creating ebooks,
- and much more.
Defining “eBook”For this post, before we get into the more esoteric issues of ebook design and publishing, I'd like to start by defining the subject: just what is an ebook? This may sound like a very simple question to answer, but it isn't as straightforward as you might think, and being able to answer it correctly will make many of the thornier issues of creating ebooks just a bit easier. If I were to ask most folks to answer that question they'd probably say that an ebook is a digital file for reading text on a digital device -- a computer, tablet, or smart phone. And that answer would be true, so far as it went. Unfortunately, that definition would cover a wide variety of documents that aren't ebooks. A Microsoft Word file, for example, is a great way to compose and share formatted text -- heck, you can even add images and hyperlinks, just like an ebook. Word docs, however, are by definition meant for writing and editing the text, not for distributing it commercially. We don't want our readers rewriting sections of our books without our permission, do we? If they don't like what we've written, fine; they can write their own books! Read More
Stillpoint Digital Press is a publisher and publishing services provider that creates fine ebook, audiobook, and print editions in genres from fiction to literary nonfiction, from memoir to poetry. It aims to provide digital publishing with a human face, offering a full range of editorial services, from editing, layout and ebook conversion to distribution and marketing.
Here's what we can do for you:
- Design your book in print and/or ebook format
- Print formats from simple black-and-white to complex, illustrated four-color
- Ebook formats—Kindle (mobi/KF8) & ePub:
- Fixed layout, flowing text, read-aloud, video- or audio-enhanced, etc.
- Create a cover
- Arrange printing—offset, short-run, or print-on-demand
- Manage distribution
- Work with you to market your book
- Quick and accurate ebook conversion from print or digital original
- Cover Design
- Smidget: Social Media Widget for Ebooks
- Distribution to all major outlets — if you'd like, we'll even set up accounts for you!
- Narration, recording, and editing
- Distribution to Audible, Amazon, and iTunes
- Substantive and developmental editing
- Copyediting and proofreading
- Image & quotes research and permissions